Monday, February 8, 2016

The Face in the Mirror

Okay, it’s that time of life again – putting up with politics until we get a new president. In honor of all that’s said and done in that arena, I’m going to share this story with you. You may have read it before, but it bares repeating (Not a typo – I’m baring something here) and I hope it gives you a chuckle. Happy Monday.  


A long, long time ago, in a race for town council, my husband threw his hat into the ring. He’s had strong political opinions all his life and finally decided it was time to act instead of reacting all the time. He won. Needless to say it tossed us both into a realm quite different from our pretty normal and kinda humdrum life, but it was exciting and interesting just the same. Suddenly all kinds of people were calling, inviting us to events and seeking his opinion on any number of subjects. The man who headed up his campaign eventually ran for New York State Comptroller. It was heady stuff.

So the invitation came to attend a fundraiser for a congressman with the event taking place in Saratoga Springs, a city of renown and elegance. Saratoga Race Track is world famous and the city itself is beautiful and noted for its style and active social scene. I was assured that dress was casual but I took care with my appearance nonetheless I didn’t think my town councilman husband had anything to be ashamed of in me. Off we went.

The large hall was lovely. Red, white and blue bunting draped the podium, people milled about drinking good wine and holding small plates of yummy looking treats. I was abandoned pretty quickly by the councilman, but really didn’t mind since my radar was up for the free food. It was okay with me that I knew almost no one. It gave me a chance to hit the food stations with abandon. There were choice offerings like cheese tortellini in cream sauce, spinach dip, little bacon thingys, fruit platters, shrimp Rangoon and so much more.

Soon, though, I was waved over to speak with our campaign manager and a few other political types and I did my charming best to comment on the proceedings. I smiled and laughed in all the right places adopting a cool and elegant demeanor during the congressman’s address. I imagined I was being very Julia Roberts-ish. Then hubby sidled off to offer farewells to his political buddies and I sidled over for bit more spinach dip and cheese tortellini before my own gracious farewells.

I was one contented councilman’s wife as we drove home. Of course I couldn’t wait to get into comfy jammies and my recliner to savor how well the evening had gone. But first I did the bathroom thing including brushing my teeth. Still feeling all bubbly and Julia-ish, I loaded my toothbrush, looked into the mirror and gasped. Staring back at me was a face closely resembling some gap – toothed goober type you see sparring with Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd in an old black and white cartoon. 

On closer examination I discovered why I seemed to be channeling this goofy character and NOT Julia Roberts. I had a long dark strand of spinach stuck firmly between my two front teeth.

I decided to laugh instead of cry because I just knew that’s what all those influential politicians had done every time I’d grinned back at them all evening.

Imagine the field day the press would have had if the guy I live with had ever wanted to run for president. Oy.




Image: xedos4                                       Free Digital Photos   

6 comments:

  1. So it really does happen. I have read so many YA books where the girls are afraid they have spinach on their teeth. I mean, how often do they eat spinach? Not everyday, I would think. Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe seaweed for them, Marion. LOL Thanks for stopping by. X0X0

      Delete
  2. Well now there's an interesting experience! I hate when things like that happen. But then like you said, what can you do but laugh after the fact? It's good you have a sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes laughter helps keep it all in perspective, Karen. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I "ran for President" a time or two in my column. I figured a mom of four boys could whip the country into shape. When I informed Mr. Schrock, he said dryly, "Well, the White House WAS white when we got there..."

    I always thought that's why I lost. It was all that peanut butter and jelly, and the voters were afraid...

    Rats. Is it too late to run again? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, run again. They're older now. The White House could use some old Doritos bags, smelly sneakers and a few other goodies. Like real America. =0) And you'd be an awesome president!

      Delete