Monday, December 21, 2015

I Hope for you a Blessed Christmas

I wrote this poem many years ago and it came to mind yesterday as I spoke with our choir director, Ted Fiebke. I don’t know what prompted me to blurt this, “I’ve written and poem you might like to put to music.” Came out of nowhere – I think. Earlier, during choir practice several of us began talking about the Sunday School Christmas program we’d just seen. Ted and I recalled that we’d collaborated on a song for a play I’d written a while back. Maybe that was the trigger for my “blurt” later.

Anyway, I thought I’d post it here as Christmas is coming at us on a freight train. Only four days away! I hope you’re ready. If not, I hope you find a brief respite in my poem. It’s not “magical” or written for a “time for family and friends” or any of the other ways Christmas is often described. Nope, it’s simply about the reason for the season.


Still, Still Night
By Susan Sundwall

Someone comforts a baby
Born in the still, still night
Someone lies in a manger
Beneath a new star’s light

Someone keeps a vigil
Guardian strong and good
There with ox and cattle
Lowly creatures of God

Angels near them hov’ring
Close in the still, still night
Shepherds tremble and wonder
Fall on their knees at the sight

Empires, kings and princes
In every age to come
Will bow to pay him homage
God’s only, holy Son

And yet a tender moment
Before He owns our plight
Someone comforts a baby
Born in the still... still... night.

I’ll be breaking until January. Have a very merry and blessed Christmas.


Image: Free Digital Photos





1 comment:

  1. Jennifer Brown BanksJanuary 2, 2016 at 10:18 AM

    Eloquent and well-stated. Bravo, Sue! Enjoy your break.:-)

    ReplyDelete