Friday, May 23, 2014

Ah, Old Movies

Every time I think there’s nothing left to interest me on Netflix, I’m proved wrong. My most recent find took me on a trip down memory lane. The movie I found was Romancing the Stone. Remember that one? Stars included Kathleen Turner, Michael Douglas, and Danny Davito. They were all young and vibrant then. One of those 80’s movies you wished you had the one sheet for. Um – the one sheet is the advertising poster theaters put up to promote this week’s feature.

Part of the fun for me is the clothes. Believe it or not Kathleen didn’t look that out of date in her neutrals and wedge sandals. Her hair was wavy and halfway down her back. Well, so was Michael’s, but it only accentuated his chiseled jaw. Sigh. Together they romped through Columbia, South America, following a much hunted for map, trying to find the “stone”, a massive emerald. They, in turn, were being hunted by Danny Davito and a host of other bad guys. I think I loved every minute of it. Davito delivers a one liner like nobody else. Hilarious.

This morning I watched a movie reviewer talking with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler. The reviewer mentioned E.T.  Boy, that brings back memories. A great movie for kids and I took mine. Poor little E.T. was so timid he hid in the closet, shivering. It seemed like forever before he befriended Barrymore and her brother. But then the magic happened and we’re left with a song, Heartlight, by Neil Diamond and an image. A boy, a bike, and a little alien all set out against a full moon. Flying high. And didn’t we all shed a tear when E.T. had to leave? All he wanted was what we all want. "E.T. go home". Hearts were broken all over America, though. We would have had E.T. stay.

Good memories of good movies is a good thing to think about on a drizzly Friday morning. How about your faves?  Care to share a few?


Image: Free Digital Photos


8 comments:

  1. We attended a marriage retreat one year where the icebreaker activity was to share a movie title that described your marriage. One gentleman piped up and said, "Romancing the Stone." Tongue in cheek, of course. They did go home together afterwards. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of favorite old movies, two come to mind right away, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" (also my favorite book!) and "I Remember Mama". I still love them both and feel a connection with each narrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Cindy. Great book and movies. Thanks for saying so. Hugs 'n More.

      Delete
  3. When I watch an old movie or TV show I realize how out of date some of my wardrobe is. Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romancing the Stone has long been one of my favorites - we have it around here somewhere on VHS. :) I actually caught the tale end of it on TV the other day; hadn't seen it in years. Other favorites include The Princess Bride (our family tosses around lines from that one all the time), The Shop Around the Corner and it's remake, You've Got Mail, Arsenic and Old Lace, and You Can't Take it With You. I could go on, but we do enjoy a good film, especially the older ones. Maybe I'll sit down and watch one this weekend!

    Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I have some of the same faves, Karen! You've Got Mail is right up there on the top for romance. You have a great Mem Day weekend, too. Smiling.

      Delete