Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A Few Short Reviews - Re-reads

More than reading I’ve been re-reading lately. I don’t know if it’s because I’m too lazy to find new reads, need comfort, or can’t remember all the good stuff in those books I’ve laid down and have now picked up again. Some of each, I guess. 






Witness by Whittaker Chambers – Written over 70 years ago and it still chills. Why? Because it’s about Communism and this man’s struggle not only to leave it, but to be a witness against it. The trial of Alger Hiss came ten years after Chambers and his wife fled and then hid from the murderers who would have had them disappear into the night. Ultimately Chambers became a devout Quaker and thereby gained strength for the fight of his life. Richard Nixon was the tenacious bulldog on Chamber's side in that fight. If you want to know what threatened and still threatens our republic today, read this book.

All Creatures Great and Small  by James Herriot – Ah, the comfort factor. I’ve read this and Herriot’s other books three and four times and they never fail to soothe. Or make me weep with laughter. Or nod in sympathy. Who would have thought that cows, pigs, opinionated farmers and quirky dog owners could be such fun? The Yorkshire vet who captured the hearts of millions back in the 70’s still does that for me. I am one of those captured hearts and you could be, too. Or maybe you already are. If so, we should talk.

What’s So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D’Souza – Okay, I already know about the greatness of Christianity. But sometimes you need to have that reinforced by brilliant arguments not of your own making. God didn’t make me brilliant, but He's shown me a few who are. I may have to read this book several more times to internalize Mr. D’Sousa’s noble defense of his Lord. Atheist views pale.

I’m seriously resisting the urge to re-read Gone With The Wind. It would be my 7th go round with that one. But I’ve forgotten some of it and it would be nice to have a surge of old feelings come on with the first few chapters. I was sixteen the first time I read it. Maybe my flat stomach would come back, too? Probably not. And, yes, I’ve seen the movie, seen the movie, seen the movie.


So – what have you been reading? Are you a re-reader, too? 



Image: Free Digital Photos

5 comments:

  1. I've read all on your list except Witness. REALLY loved all the Herriot books. I was the one who brought the first book home from a garage sale. Mom just loved those books. I can recommend FROM SILK TO SILICON by Jeffrey Garten. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Shari. Will check out From Silk to Silicon.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great list! I used to reread but haven't lately. I think I've been too busy, which is just not a good excuse at all when it comes to reading, right? Enjoyed All Creatures back when I was a teen, and Gone With the Wind in my 20's, so perhaps it's time to read them again. Have a great week! Blessings and hugs to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings and hugs right back to you, Karen! And do re-visit your faves. =0)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete