Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Once in a Photograph

A few days ago I sent a birthday card to my sister. I always like to tuck in a little something and old photos are one of my faves. They fit easily into the envelope and it’s but a moment’s pleasure on my part to sift through those pictures. Well, maybe a bit longer than a moment. I’m usually on the floor with the old photo albums and loose pictures in little piles on the floor, but I always enjoy it.

Picture one was of Shari’s three children in the tub with our brother’s daughter nestled among them. The photo is at least thirty five years old and you know how time flies when you’re looking backward. In that tub sat a doctor, a warehouse manager, a nurse and a homeschooling  mom. I even imagined them finger waving me from the tub so I’d lean in to hear of all that had happened since that bath. It made me smile and I hope it doesn’t embarrass them if they’re looking over Shari’s shoulder.

The second picture I tucked in was of our son Blaine, and my sister, Shari, on mom’s sofa. Blaine is bouncing another niece, less than a year old, on his knee. That niece, now in college, recently visited his cousin, our son, in his home in Washington state. She was in town for an event and he was happy to have her and so were our two granddaughters.

These photos and so many others are in a place from long ago. They jog memories surrounding the moment the camera  shutter snapped. They allow a glance back at what we aren’t anymore. We thought it was always going to be that way. But no . . .

Two seconds after the picture is taken and it’s in the past. We’re two seconds older, hopping out of the tub and leaving the sofa. Then Time, with her feather whip and prodding boot, moves us along. “No, you can’t stay here,” she says smiling and full of wisdom. And we know it really would be awful to be frozen in a picture for all time. But still . . . I’m am very glad there’s a way to bring back the dead, re-visit childhood, or (going all Kodac-y here), capture the great moments of our lives.


What do old photos do for you?   


Image: Free Digital Photos

8 comments:

  1. Love this Sue. My sister Lisa always gives her sisters a beautiful Christmas card with a family picture nestled inside. The picture is usually one of our parents together or with their children. It always touches our heart to see their young, beautiful faces and soon someone is telling yet another family story about when that picture was taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine. I have so few photos of my mom and dad, I tend to hold those close. But I love going through the old albums from time to time. Memories - so glad to go there. Thanks for stopping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Sue, this was so great to read... and so true! As you know, I love to use photos for cards and my friends have seen my youngest niece grow up before their eyes in cards I've ordered from Shutterfly, and now they're watching my great nieces and great nephew grow up and I have this whole collection of Shutterfly cards marking every holiday and such. And so do they. And I often take old photos, too, to share with them memories past. Telling our family store like Christine said is important and photos help that story come alive. You expressed it all so well... what a great writer you are, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, you are a great example of how to keep the memories alive. I'm always so pleased when I get one of your Shutterfly cards! This is a vital mission for all family members who take on this delightful duty. Thanks for you comments. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Sue, what a lovely birthday present. You are a beautiful person.

    Love, Shari

    ReplyDelete
  4. The camera on my phone gets a lot of use, believe me. Unfortunately, I messed around and took a video with it this fall of my son running in a cross country meet. Seeing him run is fabulous. It's just--the shouting mother behind the lens that you can hear over everyone else.

    Sighing. Then laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rhonda. Are you a video Mom or a cheering Mom? You gotta decide. LOLOL

      Delete