Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Odd Bits of a Week

A few days ago I was in the grocery store – only had ten items or so – and I made a beeline for the quick checkout. Only one person was ahead of me and as I unloaded my cart the exit door swung open. A woman with a huge cart full of groceries had come back into the store for some reason looking annoyed and amused at the same time. At the bottom of her cart sat an enormous bag of dog food. I couldn’t figure out why she was coming back in until I left the store by the same exit and saw the perfect rainbow of dog food. The bag on the bottom of the cart had sprung a leak and when she came back through to ask for help a trail of multi colored nuggets was left in her wake. About two inches of Beniful in a perfect arc. It made quite a spectacle.

“Are you making catsup this year?” Farmer John asked.

“No,” I said. “I’m sick of canning. I’ll just give the tomatoes away.”

He was disappointed as was our oldest son, but homemade catsup, as good as it is, is a project and a half and I just wasn’t up to it. Maybe next year.

Our oldest granddaughter, Elaina, has just returned from Germany. Yesterday she and her sister, Lillie, were on Skype with us. They modeled the dirndl dresses Elaina found at a cheap tourist trap (her words) and now they’ll both have something to wear for Halloween this year. She was eager to impart the whole experience and I was glad to listen. I love Skype and I’m so glad my grandchildren have such rich lives.

Now I have something to confess. There was a murder in our yard on Sunday. Yup. I’d thrown down several chewed up corncobs near the birdbath in the yard.  Soon the area was black with crows. That’s what a gang of crows is called – a murder. Scared ya, didn’t I? Or maybe you knew that’s what crows in a bunch are called and are groaning at my little joke. Whatever.

Hope you have a great week with an odd bit or two to keep it interesting.


PS: The winner of the giveaway over on Karen Lange’s blog, Write Now, is Jessica Haight. Congratulations, Jessica!



Image: Free Digital Photoa

4 comments:

  1. Murder in your books, murder in your yard...what's new? :D

    Your grandchildren do have rich lives, and I'm glad that you get to participate. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Rhonda, especially since it's so dangerous to be around me lately. =0) You're one brave woman!

      Delete
  2. Jennifer Brown BanksSeptember 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM

    Have not yet done the "Skype" thing yet. But soon. LOL
    Thanks for the enjoyable read, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, You are so welcome. I aim to please. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete